– 2018 Scholarship Auditions
MONDAY MUSICAL CLUB OF PORTLAND is pleased to announce its year 2018 scholarship auditions. Cash prizes will be awarded to the most outstanding participants. Please read the following information carefully.
Auditions will be held on Saturday, April 21, 2018, from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. at Holladay Park Plaza, 1300 NE 16th Ave., Portland.
Competition is open to students studying music in the State of Oregon who are full-time students in a state-accredited high school or college. (Home school is acceptable for high school.)
Categories are piano, strings, wind & brass instruments for ages 16-22; voice for ages 18-25.
Contestants may apply to audition in only one category. Previous scholarship winners must wait a period of four years before reapplying.
- Contestants are required to perform two pieces in contrasting styles and from two different musical period classifications, as indicated on the application form. Ignoring this requirement (such as performing two numbers from the same category) will bring deductions. Arrangements from original composers’ work are discouraged. Two languages (including English) are recommended for singers.
- Each contestant is limited to a total of nine minutes performing time. Each selection should be performed in its entirety (without cuts, but repeats are not required). A copy of music is required for the adjudicator; photocopies will not be accepted.
- Contestants must furnish their own accompanists. Taped accompaniments will not be permitted.
- Nonrefundable fee is $25. Please make a check payable to Monday Musical Club.
- The application form must be completed and received no later than March 31, 2018. Accepted applicants will receive notification after the deadline. We urge the form be returned well before the deadline because we may have to limit the number of applicants.
- Winners will be presented in performance at the Monday Musical Club Scholarship Tea at 1:00 p.m. on May 7, 2018, at Holladay Park Plaza, 1300 NE 16th Avenue, Portland.
For additional information, contact Barbara Fredricksen, Scholarship Chair, at (503) 255-3287.
– 2017 Scholarship Winners
Awards totaling $20,000 were given to students, who competed in adjudicated auditions.
Three students were given $2,000 awards:
- Alexandra Erickson, Soprano, Portland State University, was awarded the Foster Vocal Scholarship
- Scott Hermanns, Violin, Lakeridge High School, was the winner of the H. Phillips Instrumental Scholarship
- Aveek Ganguly, Piano, Westview High School, won the Colliver Piano Scholarship
Ten other students won $1,000 awards:
- Savanah Campbell, French Horn, Sam Barlow High School
- Brandon Grille, Tenor, Jesuit High School
- Mackenzie Hsiao, Cello, Union High School
- Catherine Jacobs, Soprano, University of Portland
- Leann Kim, Cello, West Linn High School
- Cammie Lee, Violin, Catlin Gable School
- Paul Lee, Cello, Westview High School
- Jonathan Liao, Piano, University of Portland
- Alison Mills, Violin, Westside Christian High School
- Melissa Terrall, Piano, Portland State University
- Catherine Youn, Piano, Lake Oswego High School
In addition, four piano students received Encouragement Awards to recognize their talents and potential. They are Edison Tsai, Julia Sutherland, Michael Yoo and William Adriance.